Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2010 Wainman Kites

Created by arkgee > 9 months ago, 19 Aug 2009
arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
19 Aug 2009 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

My Comments:

anyone used the rabbit series, mainly...9mtr and 6.5mtr...and whats the bar like, they are from hawaii so I presume they would be great in waves,any info would be appreciated

leeton
VIC, 15 posts
20 Aug 2009 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

I'm after some information as well, can't seem to find much info on them, or where i can demo one in vic? Keen to get my hand on the surfboards as well they look sick. As arkgee said any info would be appreciated.

PhilG
10 posts
20 Aug 2009 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Real all round kite, not perfect everywhere but really good in waves, wake style, free style or free ride.
The bar is not the best i've seen, 9m is magic, 6,5 needs more time to be appreciated...
You can test it on Reunion Island

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
21 Aug 2009 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

thanks PhilG,

They look great, they have a bat tail look about them, can't find even a peak at the bar though...."demo in reunion island" sounds good!! can I stay at your house

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
21 Aug 2009 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

arkgee said...

My Comments:

anyone used the rabbit series, mainly...9mtr and 6.5mtr...and whats the bar like

I have a rabbit 9m. They are a well constructed kite that has alot of bling factor. 9m is black and silver. I don't think they've changed much on the 2010 model which goes to show they're happy with the design. They have 3 struts and a large leading edge. No one pump. Lots of spares in the bag when new. The kite turns quickly and has about the power of same size rev, maybe just under a switchblade. It has a small bridal that can be removed with one set of pulleys on front lines. It has more of a c shape than most of the flat bow kite around today. The bar is simple but works. Color coded with cleated depower and 17m + 7m extensions on lines.
Overall-
BUILD QUALITY- 10/10
BLING FACTOR- 10/10
TURNING SPEED- 9/10
BOOSTING- 8.5/10
STABILITY- 7/10
RELAUNCH- 8/10
BAR- 8.5/10
UNHOOKED-9/10
WIND RANGE-9.5/10
Likes- Alot of attention to detail and originality of the kite. Simplicity of the bridal. Extra unhooking chicken loop w/o donkey dick and other spares in bag.
Dislikes- I prefer a thicker bar grip. Would like an adjustable/sliding stopper. I think they could forget the 2 piece lines and just put 22m on the kite. Some of the line settings can make the kite prone to backstalling.
I have an as new one for sale. There are some pics showing the bar in the ad.
www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/Kitesurfing/Kites/~r74aj/2009-Wainman-Smoke-9-metre.aspx

leeton
VIC, 15 posts
21 Aug 2009 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info guys, hopefully I can find one to demo.

PhilG
10 posts
23 Aug 2009 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

arkgee said...

thanks PhilG,

They look great, they have a bat tail look about them, can't find even a peak at the bar though...."demo in reunion island" sounds good!! can I stay at your house

You're welcome !!!

MichielS
4 posts
23 Aug 2009 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

I had a one hour session on the Smoke (which is the size 9m2). I was out that day on my Banditdos 7m2. Both power and jumping height are similar. But then again the Dos is a real low-end kite where the Wainman performs in the middle to high-end range.

First impression was that this is really a fun kite! No need to adjust your riding style, it is quite intuitive to use. Within a few minutes I was jumping and making hooked in big air kiteloops. Boost is not that strong, but it all goes so easy with the Rabbit.

There were two properties which really make it stand out to the competition: very, very stable! It can float in waves on all four lines whitout dropping head-first out of the sky.
Secondly, the unhooked performance for a non C-kite is really amazing. The kite feels very nimble and easy to use. But the pop is massive, especially for loaded wakestyle moves!

There are a few options to trim the kite. Among other it can fly with or without a small V-bridle (very short, especially compared to the Bandit's. No wingtip tangles here). I used it on the bridle set-up. I was not really impressed by it's low-end and the CL does not stayed open that well (which is a odd concerning the unhooked performance)

I want to test it for a longer period. But for now it sure put a big smile on my face using it!

Sasha
VIC, 103 posts
23 Aug 2009 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

re:Demo
Talk to Alex from STONKER in Torquay
03-52616077.

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
24 Aug 2009 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

MichielS said...

I had a one hour session on the Smoke (which is the size 9m2). I was out that day on my Banditdos 7m2. Both power and jumping height are similar. But then again the Dos is a real low-end kite where the Wainman performs in the middle to high-end range.

First impression was that this is really a fun kite! No need to adjust your riding style, it is quite intuitive to use. Within a few minutes I was jumping and making hooked in big air kiteloops. Boost is not that strong, but it all goes so easy with the Rabbit.

There were two properties which really make it stand out to the competition: very, very stable! It can float in waves on all four lines whitout dropping head-first out of the sky.
Secondly, the unhooked performance for a non C-kite is really amazing. The kite feels very nimble and easy to use. But the pop is massive, especially for loaded wakestyle moves!

There are a few options to trim the kite. Among other it can fly with or without a small V-bridle (very short, especially compared to the Bandit's. No wingtip tangles here). I used it on the bridle set-up. I was not really impressed by it's low-end and the CL does not stayed open that well (which is a odd concerning the unhooked performance)

I want to test it for a longer period. But for now it sure put a big smile on my face using it!

thanks MichielS,
where I live we can't demo anything so this information is invaluable, I'm 72kgs and I guess you could say...at the front end of intermediate,with a long background of surfing and windsurfing...we have waves only...no flat water...so i want a good wave kite, I was thinking...10mtr and 7mtr combo...so I thought a 9mtr and a 6.5mtr wainman maybe the go, but if you say the 9 had similar low end to your 7mtr dos...i may have to re think, thanks again.

MichielS
4 posts
24 Aug 2009 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

I think it would be a good wavekite (only tested it on flat-water unfortunately). A lot of riders over here use them in surf. It is fast turning, but I did miss grunt.

Thing is there is some debate about the different settings of the bridle. Some say the 9m2 without the bridle (so the lines are attached directly on the kite's pigtails, like a C-kite) has more grunt. Unfortunately I did not test that set-up.

Stability is much better than on the Dos, although I do not have any problems with the 7m2 Dos. Larger sizes do tend to be more unstable.

Riders of 75kg over here do ride a 12/9 combo more than the 9/6.5. A friend of mine (90kg) rides the 9 as a one-kite quiver, but also mentioned the low-end was not that good.

If you ride a surfboard 9/6.5 would be great of course.

If you want more detailed pictures of the kite, check this Dutch review (also North Rebel 2010 included): hanglos.nl/news/188305/kitesurfnews-hl-test---bandit-rebel-rabbit.html
You could use a translater online to get an idea of what is said.

Have not tried the 12m2 Rabbit, but I did look if it turned fast.

The bar you can see here one of the pictures below in the Dutch review. I personally did not like the CL. For a kite with good unhook properties this could be better, especially I does not stay open that well for hook in again.

The safety system consists out of a small 5th line, which most riders do not use. On the picture above it is also not attached.

I will do more testing on the wainman in the future, but not that soon unfortunately. I am thinking to make a review of it. I did like the kite a lot as I mentioned before. Although I do not care much about how I kite looks, this one really looking good! We call it a "blingbling" kite over here

fattso
VIC, 170 posts
6 Oct 2009 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Just had 2 sessions on the 9m in 15-20 knots. I rode both flatwater (twintip) and small shoulder high waves (unstrapped surfboard). I usually ride the 2008 9m north rebel and weigh in at around 85-90kg. I have no association with the brand or shop but would like to thank Alex at Stonker in Torquay for generously lending me his personal kite after I destroyed mine.

I must say that I was extremely impressed with the wainmans. I hadn't really looked at them before and was pleasantly surprised at what they had to offer.

the build quality of the kites is exceptional. They have taken great care in the design and finish and I reckon these kites would easily cope with any punishment I was to dish out.

They are extremely easy to fly and the choice of settings take it from a freestyle/wakestyle machine sitting deep in the window to a responsive surf kite that sits further forward and is happy to drift directly downwind. Changing from one setting to another is really simple and takes no time at all. I changed mid session whilst swapping from twin tip to surfboard without any hassles (like everyone else I hadn't even looked at any sort of manual). They fly nice and fast when set for the surf but can be slowed right down for the unhooked stuff.

Although I was unable to drop the kite, when I put it in the water relaunch was easy and fast. After failing to relaunch my kite fast enough in solid 6ft surf last week, resulting in some unwanted kite carnage, a massive drift through the impact zone, and heaps of sh1t from my so called mates, relaunch has become more important to me now!

I was flying the kite at the bottom end of its wind range but had no trouble staying up wind even on my twin tip in the lightest part of the session (15knots). I was not powered enough at this point for any type of tricks but still held my ground when others on larger kites (11-13) were struggling. I did not get to test its top end but from all reports it is good.

when the wind came in a bit I tested its looping potential. The kite loops were direct and had no problems getting the kite back above me for some nice soft landings. I would have liked some more wind to get the full yoinkage but the potential is there for some fun times!

The bar pressure is slightly more than my rebels but not uncomfortable at all. I don't think this is a bad thing as you get really good feedback on exactly where your kite is at all times. The power delivery is smooth and I found the kite to be super stable.

The bar was comfortable and uncluttered. I was initially concerned that if you ever pulled the safety that you would lose the kite as there was no below the bar attachment for your safety leash. THIS HOWEVER WAS NOT THE CASE. There is a small line that runs through the bar joining a single front line and your leash below the bar (it had not been fitted and was still in the bag). This ensures that you remain attached to your kite in the event that you need to throw your safety. The safety itself is a really simple push away system that is easy to use and almost impossible to accidently release.

I was really impressed with the whole wainman package. The kites look great, fly really well and make even marginal session fun. Everything is really well thought out, right down to the kite bag that easily fits your kite and gear (unlike some others i have tested), colour coded accesories, and heaps of spares that come with the kite.

I was not looking to update my gear as I have really loved my 2008 rebels. They are definately not holding me back and they've still got a lot of life left in them yet! However, after riding the waiman I have been in negotiations with my better half as "I really need new kites this season"! Not sure how successful I will be so I say if your in the market for a new kite that will get you out in the waves or tearing up the flats the wainman is worth a test ride and some serious consideration.

Thanks again Alex and Stonker for the use of your kite. After seeing me stick my board through my kite i wouldn't have lent it to me if i was you!

gorilla
WA, 48 posts
6 Oct 2009 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

MichielS said...

If you're riding unhooked, why not just use the chickenloop without the donkey dick that is included with kite? It's literally a 5 second swap. As for low end grunt, I have to disagree. I weigh in at about the 90kg mark and am out on the Smoke when other people of similar size are on 11s and I easily manage to keep up with them. But you are 100% right in saying that it puts a smile on your face

The comfortable top end for me is about 30 knots, so it's got a whole bunch of range, though I did give in and get the Boss (the 12m) for those lighter days.

Just my 2 cents

stamp
QLD, 2758 posts
6 Oct 2009 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

anyone know when the wainman C kites are due?

Pedro Sexton
VIC, 116 posts
6 Oct 2009 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

From what I saw Saturday down at Torquay (point danger) Saturday morning this kite has great low end and turns really fast. They unpacked a brand new 2010 9m. Looked really nice and well built. Bar was nice and simple and a small bridle (apparently can be ridden bridleless). I saw them take the tags off. The guy who rode it was about 85-90kg (looked fairly expereinced) and he was going upwind on a small TT fairly easily in what i thought was about 15 knots (most of the time). Gusts a little higher. I was riding a 14m SB3 at the same time (not overpowered) so that gives you the idea. Please note with harness and wettie i would be over 100kegs

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
6 Oct 2009 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

mine are due any day now

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
6 Oct 2009 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

fattso said...

After failing to relaunch my kite fast enough in solid 6ft surf last week, resulting in some unwanted kite carnage, a massive drift through the impact zone, and heaps of sh1t from my so called mates, relaunch has become more important to me now!

where were you when the real waves were in. Here's Gil showing how it's done

fattso
VIC, 170 posts
6 Oct 2009 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

RAL INN said...

fattso said...

After failing to relaunch my kite fast enough in solid 6ft surf last week, resulting in some unwanted kite carnage, a massive drift through the impact zone, and heaps of sh1t from my so called mates, relaunch has become more important to me now!

where were you when the real waves were in.

c'mon Tony, You know i was wearing my skirt and filming the same as you Would never consider riding at one of the open reefs in that sort of swell?

coastalkombi
VIC, 93 posts
6 Oct 2009 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

fattso when did you demo these kites as you claimed youre riding weight from 5 years ago

coastalkombi
VIC, 93 posts
6 Oct 2009 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

ps who was the spastic out with gill that day floated real close into the surf zone

at chicken point .

lessons might help that plonker

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
7 Oct 2009 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Wilfred said...

ps who was the spastic out with gill that day floated real close into the surf zone

at chicken point .

lessons might help that plonker

HA! that was me, trying to walk back less distance than Gil. I was coming in at the same point as the windsurfers.
and yes Fav, I took that video between sessions and was the other kiter out there, hense the reference to "real Men"

fattso
VIC, 170 posts
7 Oct 2009 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

RAL INN said...
HA! that was me, trying to walk back less distance than Gil. I was coming in at the same point as the windsurfers.
and yes Fav, I took that video between sessions and was the other kiter out there, hense the reference to "real Men"

glad to hear you got out mate. Not sure "real men" would have been riding at pt danger though. I checked danger but the waves had pretty poor form and was missing the majority of the swell. We searched out some solid waves on the open reefs. Thats where I dropped my 6m Airush DNA in a classic hindenburg. Destroyed the kite, I Suppose thats the price you pay when you stuff up in decent swells.

Getting back on topic..... I wish I had been riding the wainman I tested cause there's no way that thing would have fallen out of the sky like that. It was super stable even when I headed straight at the kite after a reo with slack lines. Even if it had of fallen in the drink I reckon the build quality would of seen it live to ride another day!

sckitesurf
QLD, 191 posts
8 Oct 2009 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

The Wainman kites @ Coolum kite fest all demo stock.

hsojmars
VIC, 49 posts
10 Oct 2009 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

Also rode the 2010 9m rabbit wainman kite that fatso has so lovingly reviewed above.
Once I removed all the sticky white salt deposits from the kite and inflated it I too loved the kite.
It felt really solid in the air without all the fluttering and carry on my north rebels have when turned quickly.
The conditions were very light and I weigh in at 90kg but had no trouble on my surf board in 15 knots.
I didn't test out all the settings as I was really happy with it straight our of the bag. I was really impressed with its solid build and easy flying. I don't think I looked at the kite all session but always knew where it was. ( yes sometimes upside down in the water.)

I have to recommend this kite to any one looking for an update. Thanks Alex at Stonker for the ride.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2010 Wainman Kites" started by arkgee