Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2010 Eclipse kites? any reviews yet?

Created by lowstevo > 9 months ago, 3 Oct 2009
lowstevo
WA, 95 posts
3 Oct 2009 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

hey guys any review on the 2010 eclipse kites? Was the 2009 kites good?
they are alot better on the pocket yeh?

cheers
stevo

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
5 Oct 2009 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Disclaimer:

I have no affiliation or discounts with eclipse. I just love a bargain.

I ended up getting 9m & 7m 2009 Nannos (with 2008 bar n lines).

VERY happy with both of the above. BTW I got the 2008 BnL as apparently the 2009 BnL were late coming and also the chicken loop release was reported to be suss. The 2008 BnL are fine.

The kites themselves have been great and are now flown by a couple of happy mates too. The Nannos seem a bit tame (or de-tuned to suit stability) but after a sesh or two there is no lack of fun, just no dramas and very well behaved.

The 7m is faster and more agile, but not at all twitchy. Funnily enough it feels just like the 9m but a tad quicker and a tad lighter on the bar. REALLY looking forward to some +25kt days on this kite. The 9m is a great allrounder. Nothing speccy just good at everything.

I also bought a 2009 12m Thruster but stuffed my knee and haven't been out on that yet. Apparently awesome boosting but I won't be able to fully tap that potential for a while. Relaunch on the Thruster is not as good as the Nannos though.

Good luck.

caveman
QLD, 116 posts
5 Oct 2009 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

I've got the 09 Nano 7m which I'm using with a JN Switchcraft bar. I have also used the Cabrinha IDS bar, no problems. Set-up is fast and simple with 3 struts and 1-pump. Relaunch is a piece of p*ss; just pull on the rear line and up she goes. I've used it in 20-25kts (I'm 90kg) and it's a stable, fun kite with no bad manners. Handling is predictable and gusts are easily soaked up. Self-landing is also very easy. In the waves, she is a lot of fun, too. The kite just sits back and awaits your input whilst you are on the wave.

The cost of admission is easy on the pocket but there is a noticeable difference in the attention to detail compared to my 12m and 9m Cabs. Side by side, it is pretty much like parking a Hyundai next to a Lexus. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with this since a Hyundai doesn't cost anywhere near what a Lexus costs and it will still get you to where you need to go. Let's just say I wasn't going to blow $1500 plus on a small kite that I'd be using about a dozen times per season although, the resale price will probably be **.

Lastly, the dealer is a top notch bloke to deal with. Can't say enough about his service and communication. I'm not sponsored nor did I get any discounts. Cheers!

lowstevo
WA, 95 posts
6 Oct 2009 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

whos the dealer for these kites in australia, cos ive been told there is a stockest in NZ and it cheaper to buy them there too?

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
7 Oct 2009 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

caveman said...

I've got the 09 Nano 7m which I'm using with a JN Switchcraft bar. I have also used the Cabrinha IDS bar, no problems. Set-up is fast and simple with 3 struts and 1-pump. Relaunch is a piece of p*ss; just pull on the rear line and up she goes. I've used it in 20-25kts (I'm 90kg) and it's a stable, fun kite with no bad manners. Handling is predictable and gusts are easily soaked up. Self-landing is also very easy. In the waves, she is a lot of fun, too. The kite just sits back and awaits your input whilst you are on the wave.

The cost of admission is easy on the pocket but there is a noticeable difference in the attention to detail compared to my 12m and 9m Cabs. Side by side, it is pretty much like parking a Hyundai next to a Lexus. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with this since a Hyundai doesn't cost anywhere near what a Lexus costs and it will still get you to where you need to go. Let's just say I wasn't going to blow $1500 plus on a small kite that I'd be using about a dozen times per season although, the resale price will probably be **.

Lastly, the dealer is a top notch bloke to deal with. Can't say enough about his service and communication. I'm not sponsored nor did I get any discounts. Cheers!

I concur!

I'd have to say though that I reckon it is more like a hotted up Corrolla with pinstripes and a spoiler at very least though. I love hatchbacks and loathe large V8s so no wonder I like this kite.

bermand
WA, 247 posts
22 Oct 2009 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Very stoked with 9m Nano, thanks to Grahame I was given the opportunity to get one for $600 kite only brand new. Flew it for first time today and am really impressed by bottom end, turning speed and stability. My other kites are 10.5 and 7 Core GT's so this 9m sort of fits in nicely between them. Although there will be overlap in some wind conditions. It also works really well with Core bar. It seems almost crazy now to have to buy a new set of bar and lines with each kite. Some of the bigger more expensive brands need to take a hard look at themselves, $2350 dollars for a new kite They must be dreaming

Idiot
WA, 577 posts
23 Oct 2009 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

I'm really keen on reading a review on Thruster.

surfsky
NSW, 68 posts
23 Oct 2009 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

look up google..there is heaps of em... idiot

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
24 Oct 2009 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Also look for 08 Thruster tests.
only difference was Graphics and bar(which is now a proven dud).

Eclipse never paid Momi for the 09 designs. so he still has them.
Momi has re hooked up with Dimitri for Epic.
Dimitri's favourite kite was the Thruster.
So Guess where the 09 thruster designs(with a bit more time put into them) will pop up.

No prizes, too easy to answer.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2010 Eclipse kites? any reviews yet?" started by lowstevo