Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2009 Wainman Hawaii

Created by kungfupete > 9 months ago, 31 Aug 2008
kungfupete
VIC, 149 posts
31 Aug 2008 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Wainman Hawaii kites hit Australia. Firstly I'm stoked to be flying the kites Lou has produced as he has been one of the most inspirational kiters in the history of our sport. And in true Lou Wainman fashion he has brought out an unbelievable product. The kites are called the Rabbit Series. They come in three sizes with each size having a different name and completely different graphics. Boss 12m, Smoke 9m and Gypsy 6.5. The reason is because each size is actually a different aspect ratio and different bridle set up, so that the small kites don't feel like a blowfly on string at the end of a stick. In other words all the kites perform the same. These kites are really fat. The center strut on the 12m is about 7ft tall. They are really low aspect making them extremely stable, making it the most stable kite I've flown yet. They've got loads of grunt making them ideal for wake style. You can slow them right down so they sit in the one spot mid handle pass or speed them right up into a looping machine! I think loads of people will love them in the surf as they are really predictable and you can always feel where it is. The bar pressure is enough to feel where and what the kite's doing, but not heavy so your arms will not burn out. The 12m Boss is the biggest kite I'll ever need, getting me powered in approximately 12-15 knots, where in the past I've riding 15m in that kind of wind. I weigh 77kgs and ride a 136 with bindings. I've got the 12m Boss & 9m Smoke and definitely getting the 6.5 Gypsy. The bar is the cleanest no nonsense bar I've ever seen. These kites are really something else but don't take my word for it. Fly them coz you really need to find out for yourself. I predict a huge year for Wainman! I purchased my kites from STONKER in Torquay in Victoria or go to the Wainman website. I've attached the link to make easy for people who are keen to try them out.

wainmanhawaii.com/find-a-store?filter0=Australia

junglist
VIC, 700 posts
31 Aug 2008 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Well if they fly half as good as they look then I can understand why you are impressed.

Got to be contender for the best graphics in 08/09.

Cheers

C

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
31 Aug 2008 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

demos in perth?

richswing
WA, 724 posts
31 Aug 2008 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Yer,

Demo's in Perth and cost?

Cheers
Rich

kungfupete
VIC, 149 posts
3 Sep 2008 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

For you guy in Perth, I'm not sure how far off demos are, but if you wanna find out contact Stonker directly via email or phone. That's your best bet. I've also put some pics up in the photo section. Kites look pretty good.

stamp
QLD, 2720 posts
3 Sep 2008 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

hey kungfu, hows it going? still getting paid to sleep?

i tried the smoke prototype in july. awesome kite; really simple and well built. no extra unnecessary bull****.
i found it a bit too twitchy and fast for wakestyle riding but i think it would be an awesome kite for the surf. you only have to think about turning it and it moves. plus it is really low aspect and sits right back in the window, perfect for waveriding.

kungfupete
VIC, 149 posts
3 Sep 2008 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Stamp hows it going, still doing the same old. Are you heading out to Melbourne this summer? These kites are dame quick on the fast settings, so for wake style you need to fly them on the slowest setting at the wind tips. There's 4 different settings at the wingtips and on the slowest is perfect for wake style. I flew them on the setting they come set up on as standard and found it was too twitchy, so i switched to the slowest setting and have found it heaps easy to make passes without over steering the kite. Do you remember if the kite was on the fast or slow setting? Any way I'll post a pic of the wingtip settings.

stamp
QLD, 2720 posts
3 Sep 2008 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

might be heading east for a bit but i am out of action for the season with surgery on both shoulders. should be fully recovered and back to strength by july, ready for cwc again.

not sure what the setting was mate. it was a prototype kite that i got to try. if it could be slowed down i think it would be a great kite.

sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
4 Sep 2008 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

There are some great vids on the Wainman website - that guy was doing mad stuff in 2000 on 2 line kites. The pioneer of wakestyle on kites.

Surfer62
1357 posts
5 Sep 2008 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Great reviews on kiteforum

kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2349782&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

Tvillegus
QLD, 98 posts
28 Sep 2008 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

how do these things boost? Can anyone compare them against a 08 bandit?

kungfupete
VIC, 149 posts
6 Oct 2008 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't flown an 08 Bandit, but i can tell you they boost really nicely. I've seen some picks on kite forum where some guys have gone really massive when really powered. If you're looking to go big and throw kiteloops at the apex, then these kites will be really good for that. Check out these links for pics, and make sure you scroll down!

kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2349782&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2349782&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2349782&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=70

kitos
WA, 8 posts
7 Oct 2008 1:35AM
Thumbs Up

see how huge you can go with wainmanhawaii kites here:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kitos
WA, 8 posts
7 Oct 2008 1:36AM
Thumbs Up

sorry:

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
8 Oct 2008 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

lol that video did no justice.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews