Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2009 Cardboards Tempo v Others?

Created by McSalty > 9 months ago, 15 Oct 2008
McSalty
VIC, 47 posts
15 Oct 2008 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, I currently ride a Underground FLX 128 07, weigh 70kgs and looking to upgrade this season.

Does anyone ride the latest Cardboards Tempo?
Has anyone test rode it and compared it to the new Underground FLX, North Mallory 09, Slingshot Lunacy 09?

I would like to slap some bindings on down the track. Does anyone ride these boards with bindings? If so, what size board would you recommend for my weight? Was thinking 130 or should I go bigger?

Thanks everyone.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
15 Oct 2008 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

McSalty said...

Hi all, I currently ride a Underground FLX 128 07, weigh 70kgs and looking to upgrade this season.

Does anyone ride the latest Cardboards Tempo?
Has anyone test rode it and compared it to the new Underground FLX, North Mallory 09, Slingshot Lunacy 09?

I would like to slap some bindings on down the track. Does anyone ride these boards with bindings? If so, what size board would you recommend for my weight? Was thinking 130 or should I go bigger?

Thanks everyone.

Every report I have heard in relation to the Tempo has been glowing.

NOt sure about the bindings etc..... GIve Dan at Cardboards a call, he will be happy to offer you advice regarding the bindings and boards etc...... Ph 07 4124 4515

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
15 Oct 2008 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon a 130 might be a tad small. You could go as large as their 137.

Richtw
4 posts
15 Oct 2008 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 134 x 40 Tempo - Dan can do this size for you no problem. Absolutely superb board, fast skatey, smooth as anything yet loads up fantastically well. A superb freestyle machine.

Not sure if it will hold bindings as the deck is slightly cambered, not by much but speak to Dan and he will advise.

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
15 Oct 2008 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

ud definitly be looking for something around the 134 - 137 mark for your weight... 130 is too small for bindings to be fun.

jonojonojono
79 posts
15 Oct 2008 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 137x41, very nice board, I like it as much as the 07FLX and more than the 08FLX:-O

Felix KF
NSW, 169 posts
16 Oct 2008 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

I've ridden the 137 x 41 Tempo and liked it so much that I bought a 134 x 40 Tempo not long after. Since then, I've also bought a 130 x 39 Tempo which was a better size for me. I've tried a lot of boards but the Tempo is by far the best all round twin tip I've ever ridden.

Now that I've ridden my 130 about 15 times, I'll be doing a full review in the next few days.

These guys are an all Australian company who do top shelf boards and can custom make any design you want including size, shape, rocker, flex and graphics as well. Dan at Cardboards is more than happy to talk and advise as much as you need.

I know this sounds like a pimp post but I'm not affiliated with Cardboards in any way.... I just know when I'm onto a good thing. If you get a chance, take a Tempos for a try and see what you think.

If you live in Sydney, Kitepower at Sans Souci is the agent for Cardboards and the best place to organise a demo and order etc. I imagine it's the same deal with Kitepower in Melbourne as well.

Cheers,

IAN

koma
VIC, 760 posts
16 Oct 2008 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

Anywhere in Melbourne that has a CB Tempo for demo?

I realise as they're custom boards i'm probably going to have to find someone who's already got one... just thought it was worth asking.

Also, at 80kg am i looking at the 137 or smaller?
I'm on an '06 Naish Sol 136x41 at the moment but am after something a bit stiffer and with more pop.

Richtw
4 posts
16 Oct 2008 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

I am 70Kg and ride the 134 x 40 it is plenty big enough down to 13 knots on a 12m kite. Top end of this board is insane and the pop is incredible - I can comfortably hold it in 35 knots....

I would not go to 137 unless you ride in very light conditions.... 134 would be an excellent choice.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
16 Oct 2008 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Richtw said...

I am 70Kg and ride the 134 x 40 it is plenty big enough down to 13 knots on a 12m kite. Top end of this board is insane and the pop is incredible - I can comfortably hold it in 35 knots....

I would not go to 137 unless you ride in very light conditions.... 134 would be an excellent choice.

40 is a bit narrow for bindings. 41 would be better which is why I suggested the 137x41

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
16 Oct 2008 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

and the length is nicer too. im 74 atm and i got a 136.42 coming.(not a tempo though)
remember with bindings you can control a board a size or two bigger and force more pop out of them.

Smedg
NSW, 836 posts
17 Oct 2008 11:26PM
Thumbs Up

Ian, (and anyone else) what other boards have you compared it to? Im considering a tempo, jaime Pro, recoil comp, crazy fly and flx at the moment. sold a full on wake style board (140 LF Element) and want something around 135 40 ish that is better for free ride and easier up wind in light conditions than my previous board but still good wake style performance.

Felix KF said...

I've ridden the 137 x 41 Tempo and liked it so much that I bought a 134 x 40 Tempo not long after. Since then, I've also bought a 130 x 39 Tempo which was a better size for me. I've tried a lot of boards but the Tempo is by far the best all round twin tip I've ever ridden.

Now that I've ridden my 130 about 15 times, I'll be doing a full review in the next few days.

These guys are an all Australian company who do top shelf boards and can custom make any design you want including size, shape, rocker, flex and graphics as well. Dan at Cardboards is more than happy to talk and advise as much as you need.

I know this sounds like a pimp post but I'm not affiliated with Cardboards in any way.... I just know when I'm onto a good thing. If you get a chance, take a Tempos for a try and see what you think.

If you live in Sydney, Kitepower at Sans Souci is the agent for Cardboards and the best place to organise a demo and order etc. I imagine it's the same deal with Kitepower in Melbourne as well.

Cheers,

IAN

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
17 Oct 2008 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

ok i have ridden and owned the recoil comp... first of all a fully sick board with straps, but is outclassed by the concept in boots, both have decent low ends in lighter winds but the comp gets going just a tiny bit earlier. if you gona roll straps i deffinitly wouldnt look past this board. Jaime pro is a nice board if u ride just straps, doesnt fly with boots beacuse its too flexy, u load up and it just over flexes and you loose some power. cant comment on crazyfly and flx.

i see you said u want to slap bindings on the board, if you do this then the concept is defenitly better choice than the recoil comp, or even just a standard recoil as its a tiny bit stiffer and handles boots better, 135concept or 136 recoil for boots is a sick choice and both work really well with straps aswell, the concept is a little heavier than the others but it is worth the sacrifice as you will enjoy it ALOT more. It has lower rocker than your element did so it is alot faster across the water and gets on plane alot earlier. its been my favourite board to date next to element. although overall its probably better as it performs jsut as well in lighter stuff where element only excells in powered conditions.

Smedg
NSW, 836 posts
18 Oct 2008 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

haha cool. thanks for the info, very helpful... Sorry salty. back to you and your thread and your bootie wearing ways.

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
19 Oct 2008 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

I ride a 137 tempo with escalades, best combination I have ever come across. Such a nice wakestyle board.

McSalty
VIC, 47 posts
20 Oct 2008 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info guys. Is there anyone in Melbourne that rides the new cardboard 08-09 that could give me a quick go? When I spoke to Dan at cardboards he said that he didn't have any agents down here that I could speak to.

koma
VIC, 760 posts
20 Oct 2008 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

Spacemonkey! said...

I ride a 137 tempo with escalades, best combination I have ever come across. Such a nice wakestyle board.

What sorta weight and wind range do you get Spacemonkey?
My only concern with going a ~136 Tempo would be rocker and detriment to wind range.

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
22 Oct 2008 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

No problems for windrange hey, I get going on my 11m C kite (NEW) when most people with similar sized kites start get going. Im about 76 kg. There might be the ever so slightest loss of windrange due to boots but I can't tell and if the wind is that marginal normally it is crap anyway.

Highly recommend, the quad concave gives such a loose feel for popping (doesn't suck to the water), I recommend getting the smaller fins for it and wide stance.

holnissurfer
QLD, 21 posts
24 Oct 2008 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

If you live on the sunshine coast you can demo on at sunshinecoastkitesurfing.com
The tempo rulz!

kloph
QLD, 37 posts
28 Oct 2008 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

sounds like the new tempo's a great board...some interesting r/v's. Does anyone know their warranty policy? Is there one at all? Anyone had any board broken?

YoMoFo
NSW, 240 posts
28 Oct 2008 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Spacemonkey! said...

No problems for windrange hey, I get going on my 11m C kite (NEW) when most people with similar sized kites start get going. Im about 76 kg. There might be the ever so slightest loss of windrange due to boots but I can't tell and if the wind is that marginal normally it is crap anyway.

Highly recommend, the quad concave gives such a loose feel for popping (doesn't suck to the water), I recommend getting the smaller fins for it and wide stance.

[/img

Nice hoochie !

AngryKoala
NSW, 42 posts
29 Oct 2008 12:34AM
Thumbs Up

DISCLAIMER - I do have an association with Cardboarding. I have organised several competitions for coming up with the custom designs you see on Dan's site :) www.cardboarding.com/content_gallery.php

Anyway, I now ride the new 2009 Tempo 140x42 (cut down to 137 so it fits in my Subaru Outback). It replaces my 2008 Nobile 555, that replaced my 2007 Nobile 555 that replaced my 2007 Underground FLX.

It is lighter than the 555 which was already a light board and overall has a much more alive feel. I have used it from the flat water at Old Bar to the surf in Hawaii. The quad concave really gives the board a feeling of being on rails. It has a bit more rocker than the 555 to. In super choppy water the Nobile is probably a bit smoother, but in every other way the Tempo is just more fun...

If you see the yellow "Angry Koala" on the beach - I would be happy to let you take a whirl.

BTW: I have had a light wind 145x45 board for over a year now (even used it in 30knots when my nobile 555 broke) and having two boards is terrific. I can just swap on the beach rather than pumping a second kite...

Grant

caseyguids
SA, 80 posts
25 Nov 2008 2:11AM
Thumbs Up

G'Day all,

Once again instead of re-inventing the wheel, I though that I would revive the thread.

I'm looking of a new board, have been using a mates (cardboard tempo - unsure of dimentions) and need my own. Had purchased an 08 F-One Trax from M8 but they sold to someone else without telling me and now I have been left in the lurch.[}:)] I'm now debating whether or not to bother chasing M8 to provide a Trax or even TX, or to ask for a refund and get something else.

Have heard good things about the new tempo, but would like some good advice on any other boards, or should i stick to my guns and push for the 08 Trax or TX?

I'm about 85kg riding a 10m Bandit Dos and consider myself a beginner / boardering intermeadiate rider

Cheers

Guids

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2009 Cardboards Tempo v Others?" started by McSalty