Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

1998 wipika classic

Created by Duly > 9 months ago, 17 Jun 2012
Duly
3 posts
17 Jun 2012 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hello, just wanted to see if anyone knew history of above kite? I purchased second hand and have been told it's quiet a dinosaur and possibly a collectors item???

Is it to old to use? Am I better off keeping it and buying a newer one? Any idea of what it would be worth?

I will try to upload pics of it shortly but from having a chat to some helpful staff at kite shops, was told it was the original wipika 2 line kite.

Thanks for any info you could provide.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
17 Jun 2012 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

keep it, unless you want the cash, ive got a full quiver of old wipikas that i take out now and then for a run along with a colin mc culloch custom board, back to the future dude

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
17 Jun 2012 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

sorry mate forgot to mention , itll have no depower unless the wind drops or you use the wind window , so safety is a biggy , cheers

Duly
3 posts
18 Jun 2012 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info and advice, i am using it with a buggy so hopefully does the job initially then will look to upgrade when I get the hang of it.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
18 Jun 2012 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Duly said...

Thanks for the info and advice, i am using it with a buggy so hopefully does the job initially then will look to upgrade when I get the hang of it.

To paraphrase the above: "While I'm still a beginner with minimal skill I'll use the most dangerous kite on the least forgiving surface. When my skills improve I'll buy a safer, better performing, more user-friendly kite."

Seriously, get yourself something with some decent depower before you break your neck. Head to your local shop or kiting spot and ask an experienced rider to show you the features that make modern kites much more fun and much safer than what you've got.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
18 Jun 2012 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

I have too agree. I learnt on the wipikas, not much fun. The technology nowadays is designed for safety. Might be fun to try when you can kite, before then get yourself a modern safe kite.

Duly
3 posts
18 Jun 2012 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm, yeah you might be right eppo. I think I will buy a safer newer one. Any suggestions? Any idea what the wipika would be with if I were to sell it?

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
18 Jun 2012 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Let me know if there is a market for them, I got one I'll sell for a beer.

Plummet
4862 posts
19 Jun 2012 5:31AM
Thumbs Up

Duly, Chuck that old wipika in the bin. itys worthless. or use it as a sun shade.

Look for a SLE (supported leading edge) kite newer than 2008. Inflatables wear significantly faster than foils so my suggestion is to look for a near new 1 - 2 year old unit.

I also suggest a low aspect 3 strut style of kite. Example ozone catalyst.

ps buying really old C shaped kites to same money is false economy. ok they may be cheap. but yourl need 3 to 4 of them to do the same wind range as a modern SLE. by the time your purchase 3 or 4 old ****ters you may as well have purchased one newer one.

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
19 Jun 2012 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Duly, glad you listened to sense, terrible kite for a beginner or use on land.

If it's in amazing condition (as new) and you store it somewhere safe, you might find a market for it in 10 years as a collectors item, but it will probly only be a few hundred dollars..

westozwind
WA, 1374 posts
19 Jun 2012 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Really, a 14year old kite. I say go for it, you only live briefly.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"1998 wipika classic" started by Duly