Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

14m 2008-9 LW choice- flexifoil ion or griffin?

Created by pattiecannon > 9 months ago, 6 Sep 2012
pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
6 Sep 2012 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
I'm after advice from those in the know on which kite I should go for?

I'm looking at a 2008 Flexifoil Ion 5 strut 14.5 and a 2009 Griffin 6 strut 14m.

I'm after the kite that will get me going first and foremost. I'm not expecting a stunt kite and I like the big old slow kites for their reliability and sheer power and upwind ability.

I was all ready to go the FF but I read in a euro forum that there have been some durability issues with stitching and bridle attachments - this was when they had just come out....

forum.kitecrowd.com/kitesurfing/flexifoil-ion-3-build-quality-you-judge-164219.html

Also I heard they are a heavy kite.
But the 6 struts of the Griffin just seemed too much to me. I can only afford one, if any people out there could help me out, that would be awesome.

both kites have standard bars and lines and I have extensions for help in 10kts. (i'm 70kg)

Cheers

Adrenalin Rush
QLD, 876 posts
6 Sep 2012 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Less struts, less weight! I would suggest looking for a kite that has been specifically designed for light wind. Ozone Zephyr, Best TS, Cabrinha LW and the new Naish Fly are a few kites that have been engineered in a way that every ounce of weight has been taken into consideration.

Try before you buy.

Good luck!!

Joe Millen

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
6 Sep 2012 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks arsa but limited student budget only available.

I'm sure size of the struts matter also ;P ie Gaastra 2008 14m Jekyll sports big struts and it is a heavy kite. The Griffin looks fairly lean. Not sure on the ff

I have just read that on the 2009 ion 4, FF took out the centre strut and implemented a 6 strut system- just as the Griffin has- they were claiming that the centre top of the kite is where most of a kites power is derived from.

This is a point to Griffin as well as the glowing reviews on this one next to some mixed reviews on the FF on more than one forum. 2 luv to griffinn

cheers

radman4
678 posts
7 Sep 2012 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

Have spent quite a bit of time riding the 14 griff from 2008-2010 models and they have gone well for my 95kg weight,obviously there's much better light wind options out there now and if I jumped back on one I'd find it a bit slow but for a solid easy riding all round kite on a budget you couldn't go wrong my mate still has a 09 model,he had it out the other day while I was on my new light winder and he was havin as much Fun as me at prob 1/10 of the price

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
7 Sep 2012 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Radman,
that's good to hear especially as I just confirmed pay details on the Griffin!
Cheers m8

archie00
NSW, 137 posts
8 Sep 2012 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

From that era - Bandit Dos 14m had the most raw grunt and light wind get go.

Otto14
5 posts
18 Sep 2012 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

You seem t be in the same shoes as me. Check out my thread. It should help you decide..

kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2377354&p=764373

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
19 Sep 2012 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

In reply to 14m and grunt questions of power in light winds and struts quantity and kites designed for light wind (arsa) TRX is specialty designed for light wind + waves and is a light fast kite, No pulleys, only 3 thin light struts and designed light weight just so you know.

Below video shows the 14m 2013 TRX in 9-10-11 knots 90kg rider on a 5ft 10 board, from 1:50 onwards with a wind meter average 9 knots.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"14m 2008-9 LW choice- flexifoil ion or griffin?" started by pattiecannon