Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

10m V4 Ozone Reo vs 9m Duotone SLS NEO

Created by COL > 9 months ago, 13 Oct 2020
COL
NSW, 550 posts
13 Oct 2020 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

First, I've been a keen fan of the Ozone Reo since 2013, with a 6,8,10 quiver ever since. I've stated my view here a few times since then, that they're a fabulous wave kite and 2014 was a standout model though I didn't find any real substantial improvements since then. I still have V4 as V5 reviews sounded pretty mixed to me. My 15yo son has been sponsored by our local Newcastle kite shop for a 3rd year with a kite of choice, 9m Duotone Dice. I have absolutely no previous experience with the Neo, but I have had access to the Dice. 2019 and 2020 didn't really take my attention, apart from noting the amazing wind range, but I've now had a few good back to back tests, albeit my used, V4 10m Reo vs spanking new 2021 9m Dice in difficult marginal side to pretty onshore wind and that really opened my eyes to Duotone. The Dice clearly got going earlier and made ground much easier, but it also surfed down the line really well.
I was excited to hear news of the new Aluula and was considering just one, due to the cost. And then Duotone springs this Penta on their new SLS Neo, at only modest additional cost, where I could perhaps justify a whole quiver.
I've laid a 2021 Neo SLS 9m over a V4 10m Reo, not a full metre difference in area I would say, Neo is much higher aspect. I weighed the Neo at 2563 and the Reo at 2792. I'm pretty sure the Neo has the bigger bottom end, though I haven't back to back tested, loops just as sweet on the wave, and light wind foiling clearly leaves the Reo for dead. I was apprehensive of the Neo for its reputation as more aggressive, but found it to be as smooth as, and landing jumps strapless are so gentle.
I think Ozone Reo development has stagnated for some years and allowed the competition to overtake.

billygreen
89 posts
14 Oct 2020 4:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
COL said..
First, I've been a keen fan of the Ozone Reo since 2013, with a 6,8,10 quiver ever since. I've stated my view here a few times since then, that they're a fabulous wave kite and 2014 was a standout model though I didn't find any real substantial improvements since then. I still have V4 as V5 reviews sounded pretty mixed to me. My 15yo son has been sponsored by our local Newcastle kite shop for a 3rd year with a kite of choice, 9m Duotone Dice. I have absolutely no previous experience with the Neo, but I have had access to the Dice. 2019 and 2020 didn't really take my attention, apart from noting the amazing wind range, but I've now had a few good back to back tests, albeit my used, V4 10m Reo vs spanking new 2021 9m Dice in difficult marginal side to pretty onshore wind and that really opened my eyes to Duotone. The Dice clearly got going earlier and made ground much easier, but it also surfed down the line really well.
I was excited to hear news of the new Aluula and was considering just one, due to the cost. And then Duotone springs this Penta on their new SLS Neo, at only modest additional cost, where I could perhaps justify a whole quiver.
I've laid a 2021 Neo SLS 9m over a V4 10m Reo, not a full metre difference in area I would say, Neo is much higher aspect. I weighed the Neo at 2563 and the Reo at 2792. I'm pretty sure the Neo has the bigger bottom end, though I haven't back to back tested, loops just as sweet on the wave, and light wind foiling clearly leaves the Reo for dead. I was apprehensive of the Neo for its reputation as more aggressive, but found it to be as smooth as, and landing jumps strapless are so gentle.
I think Ozone Reo development has stagnated for some years and allowed the competition to overtake.

watch how butthurt the ozone gang will be to your review....

did you get the 9m neo to replace the 10m ozone? how would you compare the bottom end of the 9m neo to the 10m reo?

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
14 Oct 2020 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
billygreen said..

COL said..

did you get the 9m neo to replace the 10m ozone? how would you compare the bottom end of the 9m neo to the 10m reo?

I am a REO fan, but butthurt? Hardly. I think all the new kites that are being produced are exciting. When a new idea hits, or new material, that benefits all kiting, I get excited. It forces all designers to keep thinking and pushing the limits. I am a small time rep for Ozone and have a full quiver of v5 Reo's. I also foil a lot. I tried a Peak 4 5 meter kite and thought it was incredible. I then tried the Ozone Access kite in a 6 meter. The Peak was hands down a much better kite, faster looping, more power, everything I wanted for light wind kiting. I sent the Ozone back and let them know they needed to redesign them if they wanted to compete with the Peak. I bought one immediately. I was told this year they have redesigned the Access, which is great. This is what happens when design ideas really work, it forces other companies to improve or they lost out.
I have not seen the new Neo yet, but does it have pullies on the bridle?

billygreen
89 posts
14 Oct 2020 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..

billygreen said..

COL said..

I am a REO fan, but butthurt? Hardly. I think all the new kites that are being produced are exciting. When a new idea hits, or new material, that benefits all kiting, I get excited. It forces all designers to keep thinking and pushing the limits. I am a small time rep for Ozone and have a full quiver of v5 Reo's. I also foil a lot. I tried a Peak 4 5 meter kite and thought it was incredible. I then tried the Ozone Access kite in a 6 meter. The Peak was hands down a much better kite, faster looping, more power, everything I wanted for light wind kiting. I sent the Ozone back and let them know they needed to redesign them if they wanted to compete with the Peak. I bought one immediately. I was told this year they have redesigned the Access, which is great. This is what happens when design ideas really work, it forces other companies to improve or they lost out.

I know you are an ozone fanboy DaFish - but (no sarcasm), you are very objective with everything you write and have a non-militant approach. At the end of the day ozone have great products - just not optimised for everyone's taste. The butthurt comment was in jest and referring to the observed responses from the most minor criticisms of their products.

Regarding the pulleys, the bridal is apparently unchanged for the most part and I believe you can see the pulleys in Col's photo of the kites overlaid.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
14 Oct 2020 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
billygreen said..

dafish said..

billygreen said..

COL said..

I know you are an ozone fanboy DaFish - but (no sarcasm), you are very objective with everything you write and have a non-militant approach. At the end of the day ozone have great products - just not optimised for everyone's taste. The butthurt comment was in jest and referring to the observed responses from the most minor criticisms of their products.

Regarding the pulleys, the bridal is apparently unchanged for the most part and I believe you can see the pulleys in Col's photo of the kites overlaid.

I totally agree with everything you are saying. That is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream, and every other flavor you can think of ;) We all have different riding styles, approaches, and feel for the sport. I don't like to knock anyone because they choose something different that's for sure. Like the Bandit, people love that kite. It just didn't do it for me but I would never knock it. If it was the only kite available to me, or if I was broke and someone gave me one to fly I would, and I would find ways to enjoy the attributes to that kite.
Again, I am super excited where the next year or two is taking us all in regards to development.

ExSurfCentre
WA, 481 posts
15 Oct 2020 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

This is definitely worth a watch when comparing these two kites.

billygreen
89 posts
16 Oct 2020 5:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ExSurfCentre said..

bit of a dud review, no action, just weighing kites, not really any comparison to how it flies compared to last years model, just stating the obvious really. the overlay of the neo and reo is interesting, laid flat theyre about the same despite a difference of 1m2 in the numbers printed on the wing.

any comparison out there of the sls vs the 2020?

neldy
QLD, 42 posts
17 Oct 2020 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
billygreen said..

ExSurfCentre said..

bit of a dud review, no action, just weighing kites, not really any comparison to how it flies compared to last years model, just stating the obvious really. the overlay of the neo and reo is interesting, laid flat theyre about the same despite a difference of 1m2 in the numbers printed on the wing.

This guy says in his review basically that there is more power on the upstroke.

COL
NSW, 550 posts
18 Oct 2020 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
billygreen said..

Everything I'd read about the Neo suggested I should go 1 to 2 m2 smaller as they were a powerful kite. I found that to be very true. I now am faced with a large gap jumping from 8 Reo to 9 Neo. And the 9 Neo is most definitely stronger than the 10 Reo.
I disagree with the reference to the Neo as being the Nissan Patrol of the kite world, and suggest he was referring only to it's mid range. The bottom end of it's range is smooth and deceiving. A quick beach hop before you even hit the water tells you this is something special, jumping much higher than you were expecting from the feel of the wind. I'd call it a Gazelle rather than a Nissan. I also disagree re it's turning speed, I found it very lively and playful, there is no adjustment to be made when switching from Ozone except to the number printed on the canopy.

omg
276 posts
18 Oct 2020 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

yes, agreed. I have the 10m2 SLS and it's very familiar feeling to Neo 2019s, I have 7,8 and had 10 (now sold). It clearly climbs better up from low wind window, turns faster, I would say much closer to 8m 2019 than 10 2019. Jumps and floats surprisingly well, the 2019 did well too, but I think SLS is an improvement in there too. Overall, very nice kite, though just one session on it.

marty72
QLD, 298 posts
23 Oct 2020 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

I am sure the SLS is a great kite and a step forward for kite gear in general, but to be fair to Ozone you're kind of comparing apples with oranges here as I presume your V4 would have had a few seasons under the belt by now resulting in line and canopy stretch so it definitively wouldn't feel as nice as a brand new kite.

23 Oct 2020 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
billygreen said..

ExSurfCentre said..

We did a little video review/overview on the new Neo SLS vs the 2020, linking here. Probably also a bit of a dud review with lots of talking and stating the obvious though

Was pretty early on so we'd only had about 3 or 4 sessions on it at the time. We've used it a fair bit now and have a few riders on them, for the most part it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect given the different material characteristics. Faster & more agile, lighter in the sky etc. so better power in light conditions & on the upstroke. Seems to drift a bit better with the lighter weight too.

The stiffer material does make it feel a bit more "punchy" for sure, it's very fast and snappy/responsive. It's not much more powerful than last years, a 9m still feels like a 9m in power but the delivery is a bit more aggressive when you send it, this is running on the new lines too which are also stiffer and probably have a bit of an impact here. 9m feels like an 8 in terms of speed/agility though, maybe even quicker.

There's a lot of focus on the weight, but the impact of the stiffer material seems pretty significant too. Probably does more in terms of how it effects the feel of the kite overall.

Also yes, it does still have pulleys on the bridle. They made some changes to the bridle to tweak performance to suit the new material, as well as having the new bridle lines. There was talk of removing the pulleys at one point but from what I recall they decided against it because they didn't want the kite to feel "too different" to people who are already hooked on the Neo.

We did a full writeup on it which is linked in the video description too if you want to check that out. Stock has only arrived in the last week or two so we're getting a lot more feedback on them as we start to get more riders out on them. So far all the regular Neo riders who've upgraded have been pretty stoked, for people who already love the Neo it's a pretty easy choice as it's basically last years Neo with improvements all around.

COL
NSW, 550 posts
23 Oct 2020 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
marty72 said..
I am sure the SLS is a great kite and a step forward for kite gear in general, but to be fair to Ozone you're kind of comparing apples with oranges here as I presume your V4 would have had a few seasons under the belt by now resulting in line and canopy stretch so it definitively wouldn't feel as nice as a brand new kite.

You are dead right Marty, my Reo's have had a fair bit of use, so it's not an ideal comparison. Having said that I have updated Reos numerous times since 2013 and have never been so enthused with a change. BTW I'm still using a set of lines from 2014, you can't beat the Ozone bar & lines for simplicity and durability. I'm sure next year Reo's will come back stronger than ever, they have to do some work now to match OR and Duotone though.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"10m V4 Ozone Reo vs 9m Duotone SLS NEO" started by COL