Forums > Kitesurfing General

Cocos 5-12 August 2018

Created by wavehogger > 9 months ago, 17 Aug 2018
wavehogger
WA, 8 posts
17 Aug 2018 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Just arrived back from my first trip to Cocos Keeling Islands.

Verdict - It's a Kitesurfing paradise and really worth a visit!..although a bit on the expensive side and 50/50 for flight cancellations and your 2nd bag to fly with you heading our there.

Waist deep to 30cm based on the tides, 13-28 knots every day... 25-28 degrees day and night...good food...1000s of turtles, lots of black-tip reef sharks...crabs... etc. Kite on the one side and surf on the other side

3 hour early morning and late arvo sessions between tides

Short video below if you keen to go.

bombjack
WA, 30 posts
17 Aug 2018 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Great video. It really gives the impression of what it's like to be there. Cocos is definitely on my bucket list. Did you go with a tour or DIY?

wavehogger
WA, 8 posts
20 Aug 2018 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Arranged flights, accommodation and transport ourselves. Works out to about half the cost of going through a tour. We were a group of 6 guys so we got 2 vehicles for the trip - USD200 per person and this enabled us to wind down each day with a nice down- winder. If you going solo and you have the money I would recommend going through the Zephr guys - seems they make a lot of effort with their groups and from what I saw you will learn quite a few new tricks through them.

The Zephr stretch of beach is anyway next to the main kite beach launching area and when you go for drinks or dinner you can mingle with the same group. You will meet other kiters with or without going with a tour group...the island is so small and you only have the 1 bar, 1 shop, 2-3 places to eat .

The water is shallow so even if you get into trouble you can simply walk back to shore...and the reef sharks, turtles, blue holes, etc. - stunning!

Save up some bucks and go there...its honestly worth it!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Cocos 5-12 August 2018" started by wavehogger