Forums > Kitesurfing General

Australian wave Nationals 2018

Created by Zebra80 > 9 months ago, 27 May 2018
Zebra80
NSW, 352 posts
27 May 2018 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Just wandering if is going to have a Australian wave Nationals this year
I mean a real competition same format of overseas Globakitesports scoring the wave and airs with heats and wave scores not like last year

lotofwind
NSW, 6450 posts
27 May 2018 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
27 May 2018 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Don't we need World Sailing's permission?

Zebra80
NSW, 352 posts
28 May 2018 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..
Don't we need World Sailing's permission?

Maybe Kiteboarding Australia can tell us why they not working on that ??????????
And only worried about race

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
28 May 2018 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Step up Zebra Bro.Why don't run it?

Zebra80
NSW, 352 posts
28 May 2018 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JBFletch said..

That is a perfect example of one of the biggest Dealers in Australia
and why this modality of the sport is been left behind

GMkal
NSW, 72 posts
28 May 2018 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Zebra80,

Kiteboarding Australia is currently reviewing our event calendar and looking at the best option to host the wave nationals for next season.

In the last two months there has been a national wave committee formed, which is looking to form a standardised competition format across the country to deliver state and national events.

We are currently in the process of seeking and reviewing expressions of interests for a host for the wave event. I expect there will be an announcement made in the coming months.

We are always open to assistance from the kite community to make events like this happen, and to be honest we rely on it. So please don't hesitate to reach out to help out!

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
28 May 2018 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

If you guys are going to do it, do it right. Go to real spots, not Lano back beach, Perth Metro etc. Incorporate all states (Those with waves) and hit their keys spots. Margret River/ Yallingup Main break, Gnarloo, Bells etc.

You get our country's best on those spots on their day and it would have to get support/promotion.

Zebra80
NSW, 352 posts
28 May 2018 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GMkal said..
Hey Zebra80,

Kiteboarding Australia is currently reviewing our event calendar and looking at the best option to host the wave nationals for next season.

In the last two months there has been a national wave committee formed, which is looking to form a standardised competition format across the country to deliver state and national events.

We are currently in the process of seeking and reviewing expressions of interests for a host for the wave event. I expect there will be an announcement made in the coming months.

We are always open to assistance from the kite community to make events like this happen, and to be honest we rely on it. So please don't hesitate to reach out to help out!

Great to hear that i hope is not just a politics promises
i would be happy to help

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
28 May 2018 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gazuki said..
If you guys are going to do it, do it right. Go to real spots, not Lano back beach, Perth Metro etc. Incorporate all states (Those with waves) and hit their keys spots. Margret River/ Yallingup Main break, Gnarloo, Bells etc.

You get our country's best on those spots on their day and it would have to get support/promotion.

Funny that I was about to suggest -

Windsurfing Wave Nats are at Coronation Beach WA in first week of Dec. Its a famous spot, and we are pumped about it after many years of Nats on the East Coast.
Tag onto that the week after, and make it fkn massive.
Cauncy might do his thing again with it, so you already have half the infrastructure and cost benefits

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
28 May 2018 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

It would be awesome.

Now that WA has lost the pro, maybe the state would contribute. I'm sure they would pay good coin right now to show our waters are safe, LOL.

All jokes aside it would be good to tie a few events together.

Zebra80
NSW, 352 posts
28 May 2018 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gazuki said..
It would be awesome.

Now that WA has lost the pro, maybe the state would contribute. I'm sure they would pay good coin right now to show our waters are safe, LOL.

All jokes aside it would be good to tie a few events together.

Sounds good

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
29 May 2018 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zebra80 said..

JBFletch said..

I'm a "has been" remember and have absolutely nothing to do any brands or the industry anymore.

In the past I have volunteered on SUP, Windsurf and Kitesurf associations and help run events.
Biggest drag is when people make comments and complain about said events, but never volunteer themselves.

Would be great to see you involved Leo.
Time to give SOMETHING back!

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
29 May 2018 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Sad day if we don't see all the guns shredding waves.

Zebra80
NSW, 352 posts
29 May 2018 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JBFletch said..

Zebra80 said..

JBFletch said..

I'm a "has been" remember and have absolutely nothing to do any brands or the industry anymore.

In the past I have volunteered on SUP, Windsurf and Kitesurf associations and help run events.
Biggest drag is when people make comments and complain about said events, but never volunteer themselves.

So that is why failed with you running **** locations and Brands chosing the winners
Im willing to help as i can
That is way i start this thread
But need to be in a good location whit good waves and good wind WA my opinion best place
I hope they start to judge airs especialy when is onshore and 2 foot chop

pezza
WA, 153 posts
29 May 2018 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zebra80 said..

JBFletch said..

Zebra80 said..

JBFletch said..

So that is why failed with you running **** locations and Brands chosing the winners
Im willing to help as i can
That is way i start this thread
But need to be in a good location whit good waves and good wind WA my opinion best place
I hope they start to judge airs especialy when is onshore and 2 foot chop

Why would you want a comp in onshore conditions with 2 foot chop?

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
30 May 2018 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

1).
Leo, i think you're referring to the Merrimbula Classic.
Which bases it's judging criteria on how much stoke and good vibes a rider has and gives.
Something you have very little of, which is which you never won.

2).
If you want a wave comp, it needs to be in side > side off conditions, so that wave riding can occur.
As mentioned, running off the back of the Windsurf wave nats (in Gero) would be perfect.
Good range of locations for all wind directions and swell size.
I'd be keen to attend if it's there.

Zebra80
NSW, 352 posts
30 May 2018 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JBFletch said..
1).
Leo, i think you're referring to the Merrimbula Classic.
Which bases it's judging criteria on how much stoke and good vibes a rider has and gives.
Something you have very little of, which is which you never won.

2).
If you want a wave comp, it needs to be in side > side off conditions, so that wave riding can occur.
As mentioned, running off the back of the Windsurf wave nats (in Gero) would be perfect.
Good range of locations for all wind directions and swell size.
I'd be keen to attend if it's there.

you so funny Wave Nationals based on how much stoke and good vibes not skills
honestly i dont care about you and this Old guys from Merimbula one thing is true we are not progressing
I just want see a fair competition system and make this sport bigger for the future Generations

Blacksand
11 posts
30 May 2018 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

What job would you like to help with ?
sit and judge for 3 days
help beach marshal / safety 3 days
food / drinks 3 days
get outside of the industry sponsors
( you've offended all industry Sponsors)
film and commentate the event 3 days
with some luck at the end of each day you may get to ride a wave before dark
( you won't have time to compete,your looking after every thing else )
Or the other option just turn up and if you don't win blame everybody else , not consider
there are other riders that can beat you on there day

iandvnt
QLD, 581 posts
30 May 2018 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

A World Sailing sanctioned wave kiting competition via GKA/Kitesurfing Australia.. well via anyone to do with World Sailing?... I'd rather burn all my kites and surfboards than adhere to World Sailings claims that they are the authority of all forms of kiteboarding on water, and that kiteboarding is sailing.

The judging is almost identical to surfing, nothing to do with sailing. Absolute kooks.

I will help with any wave event with no ties to World Sailing in any way, and with no future intention in that direction.

Zebra80
NSW, 352 posts
31 May 2018 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Blacksand said..
What job would you like to help with ?
sit and judge for 3 days
help beach marshal / safety 3 days
food / drinks 3 days
get outside of the industry sponsors
( you've offended all industry Sponsors)
film and commentate the event 3 days
with some luck at the end of each day you may get to ride a wave before dark
( you won't have time to compete,your looking after every thing else )
Or the other option just turn up and if you don't win blame everybody else , not consider
there are other riders that can beat you on there day

Yes Mrs Blaksand fake profile i can help judging no worries

theDoctor
NSW, 5765 posts
31 May 2018 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

stella
.........stella
...................STELLA

jackforbes
WA, 530 posts
31 May 2018 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theDoctor said..

stella
.........stella
...................STELLA

Not sure if the young whippersnappers will get that reference, maybe put a hashtag in front of it #street

IanR
NSW, 1237 posts
31 May 2018 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Stella
It's a pity you deleted you post I thought you expressed some good points
Kiteboarding is a young sport when compared to surfing, that has had competitions since the 1920s. And it went through many of issues kiteboarding is going through now.
What really changed the sport was the growth of grass roots local amateur completion in the fifties and sixties.
In my opinion KA, the industry and people like Zebra are too focused on running professional comps. Rather than fostering a healthy amateur scene.
All so another releated problem is that the some shops and industry people want " ownership" of any comp and are not prepared to work together.They seem to think that kitesurfing will grow into the multi billion dollar industry that surfing is and they can monopolise it

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
31 May 2018 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Just like most competitive sailing sports.. It's a highly influenced sport as they say, Hog Wash.
Just be in the right circle and you'll end up being a national or world champion. The judging and equipment can be highly biased as well as the .... Swagger as they say.
Keep subscribing and being a follower and in some cases you'll make it.

Ps.. Don't open up a coffee shop in WA then threaten everyone on some kite forum that has a different opinion. It's already been done to death

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
31 May 2018 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ I totally agree with that, windsurfing has gone the same and kiting could learn from it.

We even introduced the "weekend warrior" class in wavesailing to encourage those who never compete and make it more fun, first time it ran there was people who had won state title comps and were serious contenders for top 10 in nationals entering in "weekend warrior"

EDIT - was replying to IanR

iandvnt
QLD, 581 posts
31 May 2018 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Grass roots built kiteboarding, there used to be way more comps, way more people creating scenes and getting each other stoked, more young people, and barely any $$ involved.

Then along comes World Sailing..Nothing grass roots about World Sailings attempt to financially benefit from kiteboarding by stealing it and calling it sailing.. then attempting to showcase it with a lawn mowing exhibition.

World Sailings claiming to be the authority of all forms of kiteboarding ( inc wave riding and all forms of freestyle!) is an insult to all the grass roots kiteboarders/ pioneers that built the sport long before World Sailing got a sniff of olympic funding.

The inventor of kiteboarding Bruno Leganioux is horrified by this development.

Nothing kills the motivation and stoke more than this.

I am boycotting anything to do with Kiteboarding Australia until they stop paying a subscription to World Sailing and have nothing to do with them or the companies World Sailing pays/contracts to as they are so clueless about kiteboarding (the IKA/GKA).

Zebra80
NSW, 352 posts
31 May 2018 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Today was fun in Newcastle

www.instagram.com/p/BjcNnTmgD84/

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
31 May 2018 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
iandvnt said..
Then along comes World Sailing..Nothing grass roots about World Sailings attempt to financially benefit from kiteboarding by stealing it and calling it sailing.. then attempting to showcase it with a lawn mowing exhibition.

Hmmm yeah but kiters were more than happy to call it sailing if it meant they held the world speed record.
Can't have it both ways.

But yes, hearin ya on the sailing federation's interference, it fkd some aspects of windsurfing competition too.

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
1 Jun 2018 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zebra80 said..

Nice airs Leo, you are without a doubt the best person at these.But you'll need to catch more waves if you want to win the nationals fair and square.

(Your industry connections and attitude won't be getting you bonus points. hahah.)

oldbones
QLD, 114 posts
1 Jun 2018 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zebra80 said..

Velcro??

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Australian wave Nationals 2018" started by Zebra80