Anyone tried the North Charge 2021 or Naish s25 go to 2021

Created by rev123 > 9 months ago, 31 May 2021
rev123
WA, 1 posts
31 May 2021 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

Anyone tried any of these boards?

Been using my Naish global 5'8" for years and have been very happy with it. But I just fancied getting a lighter board with strap option and needs to be a strong build.

Thanks

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
31 May 2021 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

I personally would not recommend North if you want a strong build and straps, they are pricey and the 2020 comp and cross models had a lot of issues with deck depression and barely lasted a year, not sure if they improved in 21. When I owned a comp for a short time I could not get rid of it quickly enough. It was light but felt too fragile to jump on and def did not suit my riding style.

Naish look a bit tougher and price wise better. If I were you look at a Duotone Wam wooden non-pro version if you want straps, seems like a strong board but not too heavy around same price.

magnusod
29 posts
31 May 2021 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

I only ride strapless so I can't comment on strength riding with straps. I've had no issues at all other than some small dings at the bottom from harness impact. Difficult to say how hard I hit my board while trying to retrieve it in bigger waves. I think it is more fragile to dings but strong enough otherwise due to the string and carbon weaves.
The deck was reinforced for 2021 with diamond weave carbon.

It's an amazing board and I couldn't agree more to this review from Real Watersports

This is the 2020 version but it's more detailed than their 2021 review which you also can find om their Youtube channel.

Below pic shows the diagonal weave reinforcement that was added on the 2021 model.

40FrothyKnots
NSW, 84 posts
1 Jun 2021 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Peahi said..
I personally would not recommend North if you want a strong build and straps, they are pricey and the 2020 comp and cross models had a lot of issues with deck depression and barely lasted a year, not sure if they improved in 21. When I owned a comp for a short time I could not get rid of it quickly enough. It was light but felt too fragile to jump on and def did not suit my riding style.

Naish look a bit tougher and price wise better. If I were you look at a Duotone Wam wooden non-pro version if you want straps, seems like a strong board but not too heavy around same price.

Not really sure what are you talking about in terms of durability, from what I know there have little to warranty on North surfboards so far.

Where did you hear/see "lot of issues with deck depression and barely lasted a year" I didn't get any of these feedback yet either from retailers, team riders nor forums.. and yes I am involved directly with the Brand.

Felt too fragile is way different than a board that feel light but is strong, also there is avery thin line between having a surfboard that still flex and behave as a proper surfboard, rather than a multilayer "kitesurfboard" with EPS/foam core but no flex at all, depends what you do with it I guess.

Lots of people pointed out that after the first use theredeck was already indenting under the forn foot, most of them only realized afterwards that there is a extra EVA pad under the front foot area.

If you just used the board it would appear that your front foot indented the board, but if you check the same spot i 30-40 minute you will see the foam took back its original shape and the dent is gone.

Is this one of the issue you are mentioning on your post?

Also I'd say the Comp was probably not the right board fo you?
Being a dedicate freestyle strapless board does not have strap inserts, the Cross has and may be more suitable for what you were looking for?

40FrothyKnots
NSW, 84 posts
1 Jun 2021 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rev123 said..
Hi all,

Anyone tried any of these boards?

Been using my Naish global 5'8" for years and have been very happy with it. But I just fancied getting a lighter board with strap option and needs to be a strong build.

Thanks

Ask Kite Addiciton to demo a charge they have a 5.7 if not mistaken.
Daniel has been riding it for 2 years and pretty heavily with no consequences..

Always try before you buy...forum and comments can be really deceiving sometimes.

CJ2478
NSW, 482 posts
3 Jun 2021 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

shape of the north shortboard looks good and the extremeties have been nice and foiled out, but for the price i think the duotone pro wam is better value because it has the vac bagged on cork with bamboo underneath. if you ride hard the area under the front foot will inevitably deteriorate unless there is a the double sandwich layup. seems North just have the vectornet and maybe some additional layers of glass under the front foot. this is nice but doesnt add a whole lot of durability for big landings in the way a bamboo and cork laminate over the EPS will do

magnusod
29 posts
3 Jun 2021 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CJ2478 said..
shape of the north shortboard looks good and the extremeties have been nice and foiled out, but for the price i think the duotone pro wam is better value because it has the vac bagged on cork with bamboo underneath. if you ride hard the area under the front foot will inevitably deteriorate unless there is a the double sandwich layup. seems North just have the vectornet and maybe some additional layers of glass under the front foot. this is nice but doesnt add a whole lot of durability for big landings in the way a bamboo and cork laminate over the EPS will do

I can't say which board is more durable than the other. Just wanted to correct your comment "seems North just have the vectornet and maybe some additional layers of glass under the front foot".
As Kitekeeper wrote above they also have the EVA inserts under the front foot. Every surfboard I had cracked under my front foot until I got the FOne Mitu which also has EVA inserts under the front foot. Note, the boards that cracked was older Airush and North which didn't have the cork, just the double sandwich with bamboo construction.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Anyone tried the North Charge 2021 or Naish s25 go to 2021" started by rev123