Forums > Kitesurfing General

2020 vision on sunnies (old topic, fresh check)

Created by GranG > 9 months ago, 31 Aug 2020
GranG
WA, 257 posts
31 Aug 2020 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Snapped my thrid and final backup pair of kiting sunnies this weekend. I need another pair (and probably a backup). I can't see for long in the WA sun and bright white sand; my eyes just water after an hour (and have the terigiums (sp?) to prove it).

Most glasses (cheap to pricey) are crap' quite a few delaminate; fog too easily.
The Oakley Waterjackets are just amazing, but I lost a lens and can't seem to find a replacement. Those things were the best ever.
The Seabreeze ones seems ok. Had hit and miss. One pair was the last one I had till now and epic, and another delaminated after a year (lens coverings coming off).

I had a "sundog? Saltydog? some dog one that was very good but can't find them anymore.

I also had sea-specs, but the removable frame was just to uncomfortable (And I eventually snapped the frame in a boat (Head meets bimini pole in unexpected wake chop). no big loss although they were very pricey. The lenses seemed good. the frame PITA.

Any advice for 2020/2021 -- quality that lasts?

Hardcarve1
QLD, 547 posts
1 Sep 2020 4:38AM
Thumbs Up

Lip Typhoon

GranG
WA, 257 posts
1 Sep 2020 6:31AM
Thumbs Up

righto. not cheap, but it seems solid. The website was in one of my research tabs. Didn't look into it back then.

Select to expand quote
Hardcarve1 said..
Lip Typhoon

There are many combinations of lenses. Which one do you recoomend for bright Aussie sun (especially the sun setting over the water?) - I am guessing I am after a LEVEL 3 smoke?

The Typhoon (~$300) vs the Surge ($150). Essentially the same product (frame shape is different), and the preimum is to go from PolyCarbonate lenses with the 3 coatings to a Zeiss Lens ?

Nathe
WA, 433 posts
1 Sep 2020 6:36AM
Thumbs Up

I went the grey lenses with the gun blue mirror tint . Awesome for west oz sun but not so good in the overcast days, hard to see the chop.
The company is second to none with customer service, I had a dodgy screw in the frame starting to rust and they sent out a replacement frame immediately.
Typhoon with ZEISS lenses and I can't complain. Stops the eyes burning

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
1 Sep 2020 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

Don't waste your time looking at anything else, especially if you already have issues with your eyes from excessive sunlight. Spend the money, it is a very small cost for eyesight insurance and buy the Lip Typhoon. I have now had them for a few seasons and highly rate them. Admittedly you will never find the perfect solution to eye protection as occasionally they will fog up (usually because I drag the back of my wrist across the lens and suncream gets on them) but they are the best I have found. There are now a number of us using these and everyone rates them (one mate bought the cheaper Surge version and now wishes he spent the extra and got the Typhoon). I have had sessions without them and have come of the water with really sore eyes. These things save me. Especially around glarey beaches like Lano, Dongara and the like, and when foiling.

I have had a couple of issues with these glasses (broke a clip that goes around the neck band and an issue with lens - all probably user fault) and the after-sales service has been brilliant. Both times at no expense to me, the company has without question replaced these parts free of charge.

Phoney
NSW, 583 posts
1 Sep 2020 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

I don't mind SeaSpecs. They work well, and at $50-60 bucks a pair from ebay it's not the end of the world if and when you lose a pair, which has happened to me twice in the past ~8 years...

bkkite
12 posts
1 Sep 2020 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Been on a similar never ending journey to find a good solution. The Oakley XL sliver worked well for me for a while , but I lost a pair in waves and another pair to scratches, so I went back to cheapies.

I tried Knock Arounds and they delaminate after a couple sessions, and then I accidentally stumbled onto a pair of Sunclouds on sale. Not sure if they are US only, but apparently smith owns them and they sell smith glasses after smith retires the shape. The lenses have been fairly hydrophobic and haven't scratched too easily. Hope that helps

johndg
WA, 206 posts
1 Sep 2020 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

i still use the Oakley waterjackets and these have been great. Not sure why they dont make them still.

I lost them once many years ago windsurfing. Wiped out in the waves and came up and everything looked different, then realized my glasses were gone. I looked and looked for them and was just giving up when i saw them floating in the water.

Still going strong after 20 plus years and the lenses are still clear.

Ugly
WA, 205 posts
1 Sep 2020 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

yvanni01
NSW, 8 posts
1 Sep 2020 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Bunnings polarised wrap around sunglasses ($30) paired with some foam straps ($10) does the absolute trick.

I'm into the second season with this pair and my eyes couldnt be happier!

Apart from the occasional sunscreen smear from my eyebrows (my own fault when I'm slap happy excited in the carpark) I cant fault them.

GranG
WA, 257 posts
2 Sep 2020 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the advice. Ended up going with Lip Typhoon and the mirror blue lenses (had the surge in the cart, but capitualed for the Zeiss upgrade in the end)

I got them off the Aussie distributor Goggleman in the end. goggleman.com.au/collections/kiteboarding-windsurfing/products/typhoon-watershades-11-colours?variant=2074352484364

I rang the listed number on the site and David picked up. He was very knowledgable and we changed my order from smoke to inlcude a mirror coating, to reduce sensitivity on my eyes. [He went as far as swapping out the lenses in stock to match the frame I wanted]. There is a 15% off orders over $250 (~one typhoon / 2x Surge).

Its a pretty big investment for me. Let's see how they go. I'll update here after I try them in the WA sun and surf.

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
2 Sep 2020 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

If it means more time on the water it is a highly valuable investment! Enjoy...and good winds.

beefarmer
WA, 328 posts
2 Sep 2020 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

A bit off topic but i reakon theres two things that are critical if you want to aviod fogging up glasses

one is wipe your face with a t shirt before you put the sunnies on... even with no sunscreen on theres always grease/sweat on your face that runs around your eyes and makes sunnies fog up

2nd tip is if you are going to use suncream, dont put any on your forehead ... itll run down into your eyes/glasses for sure. I wear a bucket hat to aviod the forehead burn which looks stupid as fk but i dont care as long as i can see. So put your sunnies on first, then cream up everything south of them :)

i just wear regular sunnies, not watersports specific ones, and have no issues. took me about 8 years of kiting with dodgy fogged up glasses to work that all out though.

PanaQc
16 posts
4 Sep 2020 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

I wear lip glases and to avoid the sunscreen problem (i put alcohol based screen all over) i pass my face under the shower (with glasses off) prior to going kiting, that helps a lot. On trips, every 2 weeks i clean with alcohol and rectreat with oakly pen.

Yves
WA, 134 posts
4 Sep 2020 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

Maui Jim Waterman are good ones as well but not cheap either. I also have LiP Surges.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
4 Sep 2020 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

720-armour Sharks were really good but the lens changing mechanism let me down. I'll try their Stingrays when I put my current pair to rest...

Which are Dirty Dog Curls. Just can't kill or lose them.
Coming up on their fifth birthday, they still have near-perfect anti-fog. Wipe them on my towel before the session.
I crashed and got the strap hooked on something and pulled the pin out on the arm hinge, and thought that was finally the end of them... glued it in a fixed position and they still going a year later.
Bought some cheap cheapies from AliExpress but they don't have straps so I keep going back to the Dogs...

$99 off eBay.

surfguy
NSW, 32 posts
6 Sep 2020 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Ebay has replacement lenses from genuine shop

farNT
QLD, 89 posts
8 Oct 2020 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Ive been using work safety glasses [ polarized lenses]for a couple of years ,just drill a couple of holes in the arms ,The same as the ones you can get at bunnings ,Whim Creek Protector Brown S76B $15 a pair for non polarized ,Dont fog ,comfortable and the best i have come across

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
8 Oct 2020 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

From anyone who understands a bit of optics, I need some advice.

I like polarised lenses and I use them in overcast weather as well, no problem. On the other hand, wearing them I can't seem to judge accurately how much water is above the reef in our pristine WA ocean. It seems kind of "too transparent". I wore non-polarized lenses many years ago and I could judge the water depth much better, but then I did not have the clarity....

I wonder if someone can put "light" on this. I think, it is something to do with the polarizing layer on the lenses... but not sure.

The problem is real, because there are times I think I will be hitting the reef when there is plenty of water, just to loose a fin the next run a bit further up on an area that looks the same.

CH3MTR4IL5
WA, 747 posts
9 Oct 2020 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
farNT said..
Ive been using work safety glasses [ polarized lenses]for a couple of years ,just drill a couple of holes in the arms ,The same as the ones you can get at bunnings ,Whim Creek Protector Brown S76B $15 a pair for non polarized ,Dont fog ,comfortable and the best i have come across

For anyone who is repurposing the work safety glasses, make sure they are UV400 lenses and not just smoked, which will stuff your eyes!

Plummet
4862 posts
10 Oct 2020 2:45AM
Thumbs Up

For many years I've been rolling with tinted safety glasses that are about $10 to $20.
The work just as well as expensive glasses and I dont care at all if I smash or loose a set. I might smash or loose 1 set per year.

PS I use the neoprene old man band so if they get knocked down they dont fall off. I also wear a helmet that stops them falling off too.

Dangerous
NSW, 16 posts
10 Oct 2020 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andrash said..

I like polarised lenses and I use them in overcast weather as well, no problem. On the other hand, wearing them I can't seem to judge accurately how much water is above the reef in our pristine WA ocean. It seems kind of "too transparent". I wore non-polarized lenses many years ago and I could judge the water depth much better, but then I did not have the clarity....

I wonder if someone can put "light" on this. I think, it is something to do with the polarizing layer on the lenses... but not sure.

The problem is real, because there are times I think I will be hitting the reef when there is plenty of water, just to loose a fin the next run a bit further up on an area that looks the same.

The big selling point of polarised lenses is they filter any light reflecting off a surface, including reflections off the surface of the water but it is this reflection that allows you to see the surface you're kiting on. Without it, you're just looking at a body of transparent liquid so your perception of the waves and chop is compromised. They're great for almost everyone as they reduce glare so they feel better to the eye but not for kiteboarders. I've queried Seaspecks about this and they sent me non-polarised lenses which made a world of difference but there's no mention of it on their website.

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
10 Oct 2020 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dangerous said..

The big selling point of polarised lenses is they filter any light reflecting off a surface, including reflections off the surface of the water but it is this reflection that allows you to see the surface you're kiting on. Without it, you're just looking at a body of transparent liquid so your perception of the waves and chop is compromised. They're great for almost everyone as they reduce glare so they feel better to the eye but not for kiteboarders. I've queried Seaspecks about this and they sent me non-polarised lenses which made a world of difference but there's no mention of it on their website.

Thanks, Mate, that really is. I will check Seaspecks and others.

PanaQc
16 posts
16 Oct 2020 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

For those folowing this thread I understand Lip will be comming out with a choice of photochromatic lenses.

here is the Info I got ? The options will be brown or grey NXT photochromic lens with all Nano coatings both sides of the lenses and a VLT range of around 77% / 20%.?

should be great for variable cloudiness days and also for maintain biking and spring skiing !

brooksy
WA, 498 posts
21 Oct 2020 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

I'm still using SeaSpecs from 2008! I've got two pairs. I've glued on the head strap twice, best I found to fix that was silicon and haven't had to re-glue since. Haven't had any delam or anything. I treat them like sh!t, and they do fine. They never get a wipe with anything more than my towel and when the sunscreen is too bad, a wash with some dishwashing detergent.

bjw
NSW, 3568 posts
27 Oct 2020 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andrash said..

I think a lot of people try wearing sunglasses kiting, choose polarized then hate it.

I found polarized are terrible for kiting because it's harder to see the waves, reef, chop etc.

Each to there own but I'd def try just normal non-polarized sunnies.

azza2u
QLD, 91 posts
28 Oct 2020 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Definitely if kiting nice clear water then i find polarised lenses muddle up visibility of the chop a lot and non polarised lenses seem clearer. But if you are kiting some churned up or silty water in a bay then I found it makes very little difference. Using polarised Dirty Dog Curl 2s currently and they are ok 90% of the time. Have some non polarised Bolle Tracker 2 with the 'twilight lenses for those times they aren't, although the Bolle's need rainx applied occasionally to stop fogging.

offshore
NSW, 40 posts
1 Nov 2020 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

I have been sailing for 50 years and have been wearing sunnies for 40 years. Started with carrera sailing sunnies. With kitinf I use the Bunnings Wraps at $30. Originally I purchased them because they were cheap and had a safety rating and when starting kiting I had the odd face plant. My current pair have done 3 seasons and are still good. I wash them after each session and apply rainx when dry and have never had any fogging.
I have had No success with sunnies when surfing. Every sunnies I have tried fogs up. Has anyone found good surfing sunnies?

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
5 Nov 2020 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dangerous said..

I had my first session today on a non-polarized pair of glasses. Not Seaspec, just a pair of good quality safety glasses with 25% grey tinting.
It was a world difference. It was great to judge the dept above the reef and ride through the shallow without much worry. It certainly lets through the sun's reflection from the water way more than a polarized, but it wasn't disturbing, especially because the glasses filtered all UV. The quality of the glasses were superior, water repellent and permanent non-fog. I hope they will last.
This is certainly the go...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"2020 vision on sunnies (old topic, fresh check)" started by GranG