26 Oct 2018 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: advanced, ~
100kilo, strapless foil
Foil: Fanatic Aero Surf Foil 1500
Board: Naish Hover 155
Kite sizes: 6.2m Cloud, 13.4m Cloud
Disclaimer: I own too much crap.

I had the opportunity to test the Sky Solback designed Fanatic Aero Surf Foil today in 18 to 8 knots on a flat water location.

My first impression was I could use the front wing as boomerang to take down a white pointer. It is big and it is round (reminds me of the starship from Galaxy Quest).

Unlike the Fanatic Flow Foil S1, this thing is super solid with a very stiff mast and solid metal fuselage... they have also done some smart things with the bolts to stop seizing issues.

The wing is quite thin unlike the Naish XL I usually ride. This seemed to make is just a little bit faster than the XL.

Launching..... this thing is a breeze. Comes up nice and steady. It did not try to launch me into the heavens.

Once up and running along at 10 to 12 knots..... this thing is super steady. Definitely the steadiest foil I have tried.

Wind was a bit ordinary for carving but all my gybes were magic. Flowing or sharp, felt like I was on a rock solid platform.

This foil will be excellent for learning.

This foil will also cover off a kite/SUP/surfboard foil.

Big thanks to Dave from Kite & SUP for the chance to ride it.

Looking forward to trying this in surf.

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
27 Oct 2018 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..
100kilo, strapless foil

I had the opportunity to test the Sky Solback designed Fanatic Aero Surf Foil today in 18 to 8 knots on a flat water location.

My first impression was I could use the front wing as boomerang to take down a white pointer. It is big and it is round (reminds me of the starship from Galaxy Quest).

Unlike the Fanatic Flow Foil S1, this thing is super solid with a very stiff mast and solid metal fuselage... they have also done some smart things with the bolts to stop seizing issues.

The wing is quite thin unlike the Naish XL I usually ride. This seemed to make is just a little bit faster than the XL.

Launching..... this thing is a breeze. Comes up nice and steady. It did not try to launch me into the heavens.

Once up and running along at 10 to 12 knots..... this thing is super steady. Definitely the steadiest foil I have tried.

Wind was a bit ordinary for carving but all my gybes were magic. Flowing or sharp, felt like I was on a rock solid platform.

Now you have had more time on the Fanatic how do you see it as an addition to your quiver?
Do you think a 1000sq cm wing as well as the near future bigger wing
would be a good idea for 75kg guys for kite foiling?

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
27 Oct 2018 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..

bigtone667 said..
100kilo, strapless foil

Now you have had more time on the Fanatic how do you see it as an addition to your quiver?
Do you think a 1000sq cm wing as well as the near future bigger wing
would be a good idea for 75kg guys for kite foiling?

Day 2 was super fun ,(15-18 knots, Cloud 6.2, Hover 130).

Definitely faster than the Naish XL and the original slingshot hoverglide (had a drag race). Very stable at speed. Did have a bit of hum today.

Super fun on the lake slop. Carves better than the XL and is easy to recover from over/under balancing during carving.

One of more attractive fit guys tried it today (ie 75kg) and he felt it was too big for him (he rides a Naish surf thrust medium).

I think if want long gliding opportunities in small waves, you will need a bigger wing.

Tomorrow... surf day.

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
28 Oct 2018 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Day 3: surf day

Umina NSW: Conditions were 15 to 20 knots, 6.2m Cloud, high tide with two footers running across the big sand bar at The Box. (75mm mast).

Heading up wind and popping over the waves and travelling through the whitewash was very straight forward. I got flicked once primarily cause I hit the peaking wave a little fast. Normal weird feeling travelling through whitewash but stable as.

This thing turns quite nicely, so I would spot the wave and flick around on the face and head back to where I started. Very smooth.

The wave rides were just awesome. I had no probs carving round on the wave unless I built up too much speed (34km/h). Even at speed I did not face plant once as I so often do.

I did 25km worth of backwards and forwards over the same 200/300m area.

With just 12 inches of swell you get really nice lift and forward drive.

I rate the foil highly.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
30 Oct 2018 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

How did you make that track, Tone?

Saw this the other day, and it inspired me to drag out my old Garmin 60csx and put it in my pocket... Imported into Google Earth, which was a first for me. Very amusing, watching the drunken wobbling around.

Not sure how accurate it is, cos I swear I went way further to the left past the windsurfer beach on the other side of the river, and there's a glitch in the track there, and going back to the beach it skips past where I actually stopped too. But interesting, nonetheless: 56 minutes, 20.5km travelled, max speed 35kph and a moving average of 21.

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
31 Oct 2018 5:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..
How did you make that track, Tone?

Saw this the other day, and it inspired me to drag out my old Garmin 60csx and put it in my pocket... Imported into Google Earth, which was a first for me. Very amusing, watching the drunken wobbling around.

Not sure how accurate it is, cos I swear I went way further to the left past the windsurfer beach on the other side of the river, and there's a glitch in the track there, and going back to the beach it skips past where I actually stopped too. But interesting, nonetheless: 56 minutes, 20.5km travelled, max speed 35kph and a moving average of 21.

Fenix Garmin 3 watch. Nice and simple, three pushes of one button and it records.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

"Fanatic Aero Surf Foil 1500" started by bigtone667