Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

Cabrinha 2018 double agent beginners review

Created by pearl > 9 months ago, 18 Dec 2017
pearl
NSW, 984 posts
18 Dec 2017 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Picked up a new foil a while ago. Being friends with a variety of instructors, team riders, and retailers; I had varying recommendations. Went with cabrinha which is an entry level package suited to beginning for just over $2g board and foil. Comes complete with 85cm mast, board and 3 straps, plus fins for riding foil-less.
I added cabrinha bag & 60cm mast. Slingshot foot hook.
Good points-
-easy beginners set up
-will get you up and foiling quickly
-looks good with a nice anti shark pattern
-durable if you whack it
-easy sell s/h that should retain value
-modular so compact to travel
-as Keahi said to me 'has attributes that he still enjoys at his level' (stall speed, turn radius, wave handling)
The not so good points
-all foils cost $$$
-some sharp hard edges
-has a tiny resonant hum when up on foil
-no bag included in this years model

My learning progression which is my review. Never foiled before
Day 1: 1hr towed behind my boat. After 4 wtf straight over the handlebars; got up to ride on water level. Up on foil for rides and touch downs. Couldn't believe how high an 85cm mast felt and how much weight I needed to throw forward to balance. Found out later I had front and back wing wrong way round on fuselage and mast back the front. Doh! Read the instructions. Was lucky to be able to ride at all
day 2 lesson 30min on big board and naish foil 60 cm mast. Could do long runs up on foil. This was like the Malibu of foiling
day 3. First go on kite with cabrinha and 60 cm mast in ocean. Wind was light 9m reo and had to work kite. One fall then could ride heel side. Took me a few more go's to ride toe side on foil. Didn't fall last hour and did a few foiling transitioning turns heel side to toe side I was happy with.
Day 4 Second time on kite; super light. 12m with 60 cm cab set up in ocean bay. Had to keep kite moving so it didn't fall out of sky. Could ride both ways pretty comfortabley on foil and did multiple transitions both ways. Could control up and down of foil as well as s turns. Surprised at how loose and tight this set up can turn. Killing my legs though. Like holding a yoga pose. Jelly legs. For surfers it's similar to your barrel stance; shifting weight forward and back subtly. I went with one centre front strap which is handy to position board when learning. I'll end up strapless. One of the great attributes of this set up, is it has nuetral buoyancy so can float on its side. This makes it easy to start.
Thanks Keahi, Jason, Steve & Kitepower, sir V, cushy etc
btw I paid full price less haggling discount!

dorothyinste
QLD, 452 posts
18 Dec 2017 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
....After 4 wtf straight over the handlebars; got up to...

Great description...LMAO. Well done on the progression.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

"Cabrinha 2018 double agent beginners review" started by pearl