Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

180 upwind turns

Created by spartacus > 9 months ago, 26 Nov 2017
spartacus
NSW, 93 posts
26 Nov 2017 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
Looking for tips to do 180 degree upwind turns. Just turn and ride away - no changing foot gypes . To be able to come in heel side - 180 degree upwind turn & ride away toeside would be good enough at this stage.
Issue is mainly in kite control through the turn.

Thanks

Scott

DukeSilver
WA, 256 posts
26 Nov 2017 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Watch some of the Greg Drexler vids. He does lots of them. There is some good drone footage in them where you can see what he does with the kite.

dafish
NSW, 1348 posts
27 Nov 2017 6:48AM
Thumbs Up

Greg is the master of making it looks simple and easy. A guy was visiting our beach for a few days from the UK and has been foiling exclusively for about 4 years and he was doing them pretty consistently on a Moses foil. His advice to me was: point upwind but not too much to lose speed, bring kite to 12 but lean heavy on the kite to bring it higher in the wind window. As it gets to 12 carve hard around but with loads of front foot drive. As your shoulders come around down loop the kite with your front hand to keep power in the kite and constant pull. That should get you the rest of the way around and now you are on a toeside tack. You can either keep going around to do a 360, or ride off in the other direction. I am not there yet with mine, but getting close.

Plummet
4457 posts
27 Nov 2017 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

I get to about direct upwind and the board shoots out of the water and then the foil tries to tomahawk me in the face!

Funny thing is I can do em easy as on the kite buggy. Cant translate that to the foil yet!

juandesooka
245 posts
28 Nov 2017 1:10AM
Thumbs Up

I haven't done one yet, but I hope to eventually. I have a tough time getting my head around "where do the lines go". So I have done some practice on the beach with trainer kite (2m inflatable) to figure out how to get under/around the lines. Took me 10 or more tries to get it figured out without crashing the kite. A bit like doing backrolls, concentrate on not pulling either way, keep bar straight. Toeside to heelside was way more challenging.

On the water, I haven't yet tried on foil. Did it with surfboard just to get a feel (strapless) for the motion, not even close to making it, but was useful to get a feel for the kite's movement.

Now to grow some balls and try it with foil ... but plummet's description is what worries me ... it's one thing for kite to loop and superman downwind with without a board ... another to do it with an aluminum ax between your legs.

PS Here's a video showing the move with 2 frames side by side, showing kite and rider at same time, slow mo.....really helpful, hope the link works

www.facebook.com/foilingbasics/videos/1409164912492080/

dafish
NSW, 1348 posts
28 Nov 2017 6:47AM
Thumbs Up

Great vid! Perfect to see both rider and kite in slow motion where you can really dissect the move. Really helpful!

Select to expand quote
juandesooka said..
I haven't done one yet, but I hope to eventually. I have a tough time getting my head around "where do the lines go". So I have done some practice on the beach with trainer kite (2m inflatable) to figure out how to get under/around the lines. Took me 10 or more tries to get it figured out without crashing the kite. A bit like doing backrolls, concentrate on not pulling either way, keep bar straight. Toeside to heelside was way more challenging.

On the water, I haven't yet tried on foil. Did it with surfboard just to get a feel (strapless) for the motion, not even close to making it, but was useful to get a feel for the kite's movement.

Now to grow some balls and try it with foil ... but plummet's description is what worries me ... it's one thing for kite to loop and superman downwind with without a board ... another to do it with an aluminum ax between your legs.

PS Here's a video showing the move with 2 frames side by side, showing kite and rider at same time, slow mo.....really helpful, hope the link works

www.facebook.com/foilingbasics/videos/1409164912492080/

DukeSilver
WA, 256 posts
28 Nov 2017 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

Yep, great vid. Gunnar Biniasch has a whole series of these instructional foiling videos and they are all good. I'm going to give these a shot soon as well.

Kraut
VIC, 477 posts
29 Nov 2017 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
spartacus said..
Hi,
Looking for tips to do 180 degree upwind turns. Just turn and ride away - no changing foot gypes . To be able to come in heel side - 180 degree upwind turn & ride away toeside would be good enough at this stage.
Issue is mainly in kite control through the turn.

Thanks

Scott

What's the advantage of doing this as opposed to a downwind turn into toeside? As you end up riding toeside anyway in both cases. Or is this in preparation of a foil tack?

dafish
NSW, 1348 posts
29 Nov 2017 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

it's a fun move, and I suppose you don't lose as much ground ground if you are headed up wind. I just see it as another challenge in being able to ride smoothly in any direction at any given time.

juandesooka
245 posts
29 Nov 2017 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..
it's a fun move, and I suppose you don't lose as much ground ground if you are headed up wind. I just see it as another challenge in being able to ride smoothly in any direction at any given time.

What he said!

And to be able to do this :-)

Kraut
VIC, 477 posts
30 Nov 2017 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Sweet. Yes that would be fun ;-)

So at 2:00 is he doing a 360? Coming in heelside, riding away heelside? HOW?

bigtone667
NSW, 1035 posts
30 Nov 2017 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

He has a heap of video's with some great long range shots including the kite in the action.

juandesooka
245 posts
30 Nov 2017 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RussKraut said..
Sweet. Yes that would be fun ;-)

So at 2:00 is he doing a 360? Coming in heelside, riding away heelside? HOW?

Seems to be a fairly common trick once the upwind 180 is mastered. Just ride it out into a downwind turn after. I think the issue is what to do with the kite to keep power through it. There's some how to videos on kiteforum. ...will search and post.

Kraut
VIC, 477 posts
30 Nov 2017 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, that'd be great. A good reason to start practising the upwind turns then as this just looks smooooooth

juandesooka
245 posts
30 Nov 2017 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2396918&hilit=360ssKraut said..
Thanks, that'd be great. A good reason to start practising the upwind turns then as this just looks smooooooth

Here you go....video is a few posts down. First the wide shot with kite. Second closeup.

link is up in quote box. ...phone acting up

Kraut
VIC, 477 posts
30 Nov 2017 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks mate!

bigtone667
NSW, 1035 posts
1 Dec 2017 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Greg (boardridingmaui.com) just released his latest video.... starts with 180's showing kite loops and all.

UnderMyUmbrella
QLD, 48 posts
1 Dec 2017 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..
Greg (boardridingmaui.com) just released his latest video.... starts with 180's showing kite loops and all.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

"180 upwind turns" started by spartacus